UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

EXAMPLE- [Car Year][Car Model]: [Brief description of issue]

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:50 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 96 V4, 95 V4, 9000 Aero
Since I bought my 9000, the headlamps have been pathetic! My V4s have much better headlamps! I've bought some replacement reflectors from SAABits, but I can't figure out how you disconnect the lateral adjustor from the reflector.

I've got the vertical adjustment motor out, and the only thing now holding the reflector in place is the sideways adjustor. How on earth do you disconnect it? The Haynes book doesn't even mention it!

HELP!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I've now discovered how all this is supposed to come apart. The ball simply pulls out of the socket! Well, that's the theory, anyway! In practice, the first one I did needed a sharp tap from a small hammer via a drift inserted through the rear bulb access hatch. Before re-assembly, I liberally coated it with white grease, and it popped back dead easy.

The second one broke before it would release! With 20/20 hindsight, some lubrication would probably have helped. I don't think white grease would penetrate enough, but maybe some WD-40 would have done it. It might also have helped to warm it up a bit with a hair drier first, to make the plastic less brittle.

Anyway, both headlamps now have new reflectors and Osram Nightbreakers installed, so hopefully I'll be able to see where I'm going at night!

Also, a big thank you to Bill at SAABits, who was very helpful with instructions on how to replace the reflectors, and even found me a spare plastic bit for the one I broke! BPV in Slough also found me one, so now I have a spare should I ever have to do this again (hopefully not for a long, long time!!!).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:11 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Glad you got it sorted in the end, Pete!
Your old reflectors have arrived, thanks, and I'm told the silvering is in a woeful state. No wonder you weren't getting any light out of them :lol:
I've been researching alternative ways to dismantle these. Reading up on it, some people drill a hole in the casing above the securing screw for that clip to create access for a screwdriver, then cover the hole afterwards. Not an ideal solution, I think. Others have detached the lateral adjuster from the casing (it does turn for removal, it's just very stiff) and given it a pull.

Perhaps someone here has a more reliable suggestion?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:24 pm 
UKS Addict

When will you have new reflectors available again Bill?

G

93 9000 Aero (Abbott + 80k miles!)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:02 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

A week, perhaps. No more than two weeks. They're being re-chromed at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:11 pm 
UKS Addict

BillJ wrote:
A week, perhaps. No more than two weeks. They're being re-chromed at the moment.

Good stuff. I've sourced a new lense, just need one reflector now.

Give me a shout when available please mate.

G

93 9000 Aero (Abbott + 80k miles!)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 Aero - Honda Prelude Vtec
BPV Slough. SAAB indy. That's useful to know, convenient for me, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:24 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Bill,

I did contemplate drilling the case to get access to the screw, but if the headlamps weren't reasonably well adjusted in the first place, the screw could be in a completely different place after alignment. Then you would need to drill another hole should you need to do it again.....!

I didn't know how the manual (lateral) adjuster came out. It turns out that you just twist it - same as the electric one. However, after being in there for nearly 20 years, they can be a bit reluctant to come out! And I was reluctant to use any significant force on them, in case I was doing it wrong! If you can detach the adjuster from the back of the case, then you can work white grease into the ball and socket by wriggling it around. That should make it much easier to pop it out, without having to resort to excessive force.

My problem was primarily not having any exploded view, or guide as to how the thing was meant to come apart. The Haynes manual makes no mention of dismantling the headlamp units - only replacing them! As with so many things, once you've done it once, it becomes a lot clearer! As its something that most people will only ever do once, I think an "Idiot's Guide" would be extremely useful! Hopefully my experience will be of assistance to others.....

Its really not hard, once you know how! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I've now had a chance to drive the car at night a couple of times, and all I can say is WOW! What a difference! The combination of the new reflectors from SAABits and Osram NightBreaker bulbs has restored the performance of the headlights so that they now match the performance of the car!

An excellent upgrade which I can thoroughly recommend!